Sunday, 19 January 2014

My Top Five // Books of 2013

Hello again!

Well 2013 was definitely an amazing year for books including those being made into motion pictures. Links to all of the authors book will be below.

~ The first book on my list is of course "The Fault In Our Stars" by John Green. This book received an amazing response and was widely recommended so I decided I would read it. Best decision of 2013; this book is compelling and really hits home. This is the fastest I have ever read a book and I am planning to read it a second time before seeing it in theaters! I would actually recommend any book written or co-written by John Green as from experience they have always had a feel good effect on me or made you appreciate the small things in life.

~ The second book I recommend strongly is "Blood Loss" by Alex Barclay. I picked up this murder mystery whilst in a supermarket as I wanted a change of genre to read and it was one of the most mystifying and insightful stories. Although I wouldn't recommend it to those under the age of 13, it is definitely a book that makes you think and question the way peoples minds work.

~ An additional book that truly puzzles the human brain is "White Crow" by Marcus Sedgwick. This book was recommended to me by a friend and I have never felt to tied to a book before; this story really has a way to rope you in and keep you guessing the story line which is never truly revealed. The end of the book leaves you in pure confusion and frustration but also a real sense of respect for the writer as he has written such a mind boggling book with such simple words and questions. Even months after reading this book I am still trying to work out the exact plot but maybe some things are best left undone. 


~ Another book I recommend (which is now a film) is "The Mortal Instruments: City Of Bones" by Cassandra Clare; this is book one of a five book series which is still being added to. Although I don't normally read books with themes of mythical creatures, I found this book hard to put down. The story-line is brilliant and just when you think it cannot get any better there is a huge plot twist near the end which leaves you longing to read the rest of the series. I look forward to reading the rest of the series and hope they live up to the reputation the first book has set.

~ The next book I have chosen is "Wreck this journal" by Keri Smith. Although this book was published in 2007 and is not a novel or an actual book with a story, I bought it in 2013 and it has been a great book to pass time. There seems to be something slightly satisfying about wrecking a book, although I hate cracking a spine on a normal book, this was some what relaxing and when you notice the book slowing becoming a mess it feels like an accomplishment. I think this book is a truly amazing idea and recommend this book as well as other Keri Smith books.
   
Links to these authors books are all here:
John Green - http://johngreenbooks.com/
Alex Barclay - http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/b/alex-barclay/
Marcus Sedgwick - http://www.marcussedgwick.com/
Cassandra Clare - http://www.cassandraclare.com/
Keri Smith - http://www.kerismith.com/

I hope this has given you some ideas on books to read and if you've read any of them then let me know!
Shannon x 

No comments:

Post a Comment