Friday, 20 June 2014

Book vs Film // The Fault In Our Stars.

Hello!

Well, seeing as I have now finished school I am swimming in freedom...which also means I have more time to do things...things like going to the cinema and my first stop was The Fault In Our Stars. 




Now, knowing I was seeing the film today I decided to re-read the book the day before and I was lucky enough to finish it this morning...so I started off my morning in quite an emotional state. Personally I was excited to watch the film and thought "Oh no, I probably won't even cry that much pfft!" But boy was I wrong. I cried like a baby and much to my surprise I cried from start to finish. Mainly due to the superb acting by the amazing cast but also of course the heart wrenching story line. 

If you haven't read the book...please do! I picked the book up one day thinking it was just like any other book I''d read and it would be a light-hearted fun read. No, it was much more. It makes you realise how lucky you are in life and emotionally attaches you to the characters in the book. Due to re-reading the book I was expecting big things from the film and praying that it was linked closely to the original book. It was and if anything it exceeded my expectations. 


    
(L-R) Ansel Elgort, Shailene Woodley and Nat Wolff.

















Ansel Elgort plays Augustus perfectly and it is obvious that he was able to play the character with full emotion and passion and him alone moved me with his breathtaking scenes whether they were just him having a little monologue, a little smirk here or there or a poignant scene; he was just brilliant. 
As was his co-star Shailene Woodley. With it being the first time I watched her in a film it was liberating to see an actress emotionally invest in a character but not over play it. But of course we can't forget our humorous yet some times dark character Isaac played by Nat Wolff. I believe he played the character extremely well considering he was blind for the majority of it he showed the perfect ratio of pain and humor which can be difficult when playing a role of such a challenging character.
The combination of these three actors was just genius and the one thing that was truly brilliant for me was that they really did seem like they were dealing with difficult situations; An amputee, a bind boy and a girl with failing lungs. 

Impressively the book and film were 90% the same with only a few things either different or missing. One of the main things I recognised during watching it was that I felt that Isaac's character was pushed aside a bit and although he isn't written about as much as Hazel or Augustus I still feel like he could have been a bit more included. There were also some scenes which are known to have been cut from the film such as the 'Swing set scene' and the couple of times in which Hazel accompanies Isaac in playing video games.

Overall I was thoroughly impressed with the film and there is a chance of me seeing it in the cinema again...once I build up the emotional strength as I am now completely drained!

Well, I hope you enjoyed this blog post:) and maybe even persuaded you to pick up the book or watch the film!

Until next time,
Shannon xx

No comments:

Post a Comment